Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Happy New Year...a week late!!

The start to 2020 has been a tad busy catching up on some projects from 2019, meeting a secret sewing deadline, and getting into the groove of everything January 2020 in the quilty world I have chosen to put under my needle.

Let's start with this post about wrapping up the blocks for the 2019 Monthly Color Challenge from Patterns By Jen - November and December are complete!



I have decided to donate these quilts each year to the local chapter of the Linus Project. I was struggling with the size and variety of colors in my 2018 blocks when all were put together when attempting to complete things as one coherent quilt. So I started researching different charities I could donate my quilts to with Project Linus feeling like the perfect fit. By the end of the year, there will be four quilts completed.

The top photo shows my 6" and 12" blocks from the 2018 Monthly Color Challenge. All blocks followed the color theme for the month, but not necessarily the pattern. Jen posted blocks in both sizes that year. I challenged myself to keep with the colors and create a block in both sizes each month. Extra block patterns were chosen from a book my mother passed down to me. I chose blocks I hadn't before created. One of the blocks Jen posted that year (May, I think) I also changed up the layout on as it looked better with the fabrics I purchased specifically for that block). The bottom photo shows all of the 2019 blocks together. My personal challenge with those blocks was to create blocks from only solid fabrics. I absolutely love these blocks and do not know why I avoided solids in my earliest quilting. Crazy! 



What do you have planned for your Monthly Color Challenge quilts? Will they be gifts, donations, quilts for your couch, or maybe donated to a fundraiser? Let me know in the comments. It's always fun to share ideas on what we do with our creations!

In my next post, we will start looking at some of the new sewing I have started in 2020, as well as what is to come in the remainder of this week! Short time frame, so what could it be?? The suspense!!

PS - When you hop over to Jen's blog, check out the 2020 Monthly Color Challenge! It's definitely not for the birds, but all about the birds...and their beautiful colors that they inspired for each challenge month. From there, check out the fellow bloggers who are creating blocks for various months throughout the year. All the fun starts at Pattern's By Jen blog!

Keep quilting!!
Fawn

No comments:

Post a Comment