Tuesday, November 1, 2022

November 2022 PBJ Monthly Color Challenge

 

Cloves!

It's another fun month for the 2022 Monthly Color Challenge from Patterns By Jen where she brings us the scent and flavor of cloves in our quilting endeavors. Many think of pumpkin pie when cloves are mentioned as it is one of the key spices used to create the delicious fall dessert. Cloves are also used to add yummy flavor when baking a delicious ham. What do I use cloves for? I find them useful in canning, pies, dessert bars, and even homemade tomato soup - not from a can, but completely from scratch. Thinking about all these yummy foods makes my mouth water. 

 

Don't they look delicious! I have used both of these recipes - even the pumpkin pie recipe with home processed pumpkin in place of canned - and the results are always top notch.

We are here to talk about the color of cloves in quilting, so let's get to it. Cloves also have a rich neutral color with which to work. They are a rich shade of brown that easily compliments other earth tones or brings out the joy in vibrant colors. 


When choosing fabrics for this month's color, I chose a line that I felt comfortable turning into a quilt using all the fabrics included in the fat quarter pack. I'm looking forward to using only these two months block patterns to create a fun and adorable throw quilt. Check my August blog post for more on the fabrics. 


The little mice are so cute!

This is where I tell you that neutrals are typically not my jam. While I can appreciate quilts constructed by others using neutrals, I typically find them to be constraining. When signing up for our chosen months this year, I decided to challenge myself by intentionally choosing neutral colors. I knew that I needed to get beyond my own feelings to make these shades of brown bask in their rightful glory.


It has become practice to starch the fabrics before cutting to help ensure accuracy. Currently I use Purex brand but have used others getting the same results. 


That accuracy can be seen in the photo above. There is much satisfaction in having measurements turn out so nicely.


As you can see, there is a proportional difference between the 12" block on the left and the 6" block on the right. I can honestly say that I prefer the incorrect version of the 12" block knowing most of those corners will disappear in the remaining construction. Uniqueness also tends to be the way I lean, so...ha!


The colors are gorgeous and block fun to make. 

Here are a couple of pictures showing more shades of "clove" in a set of coasters I made that is the start of a bigger set going to a special someone! They are currently my favorite quilty item featuring these beautiful browns.



Remember to head over to Jen's blog for her post and to learn how to get your instructions. Then take a trip to visit my fellow November bloggers and see what their wonderful blocks.



Kathy @ Kathy Kwilts



Always remember to keep on quilting - even if life brings a few hiccups along the way. 

~ Fawn ~




 


No comments:

Post a Comment