Saturday, June 20, 2020

Masks - take two!

I got to finish some masks that were overdue in their delivery. My son's girlfriend put in a request that needed to be put on hold while we got the bulk of the garden planted. I already made some masks for others near and dear, but that pattern was quite vague on some key areas making for a rather unpleasant experience. I swore off mask making for a while. Then this request came, and many more pattern options had become available. 

One (called "Taco Tuesday" on JoAnn.com) caught my eye with easy to follow directions for assembly plus an easy pattern for cutting. The recipient for these masks is not a fan of reds/pinks, so picking fabrics from my stash was simple and fun. I broke out some fun Tula Pink fat quarters just waiting for a purpose and got to work!

Cutting came first. No need for keeping anything "directional" as they are just masks.


Assembly was so easy.


Trickiest steps of assembly were tacking down the seam allowance on the curve. It required a teensy bit of extra patience. 


I took the clear plate out from around my machine to make working with the material easier and assembly in those first steps so much faster.


Then I remembered I still needed to cut ties. Masks I made prior had ties made like binding. A bit tedious and not a process I wanted to repeat. T-shirt material was up for a try. So simple! 


When I went to put the clear tray back in my table I discovered so many areas that need some TLC. Yikes! Don't forget to clean around your machine if it sits in a table/cabinet like mine does. Much of this excess can get into your machine.


One done. Three to go. The fit was great! Might have to make a couple for the people in my house.


This was a pleasant mask making experience. I know some have taken on making them to donate or sell by the droves. That is not a desire of mine. Making a few here or there is enough for me around the rest of life.

Time to check on the garden!
Fawn

No comments:

Post a Comment