Friday, May 1, 2020

May's Budgerigar Inspiration

Do you know what a budgerigar is? I have heard them called by their nickname: budgie. You can find them in pet stores in a variety of colors, but in nature they are green and yellow - American Parakeet! I know what that is, but had never heard "budgerigar" until the May block was introduced. I just love learning new facts. Nature for the win!

In making the May block, I reversed the light and dark fabrics due to the supply I had on hand. 


The dark green has a pattern to it that is allowed to be better displayed while that light green just pops! 

This block is made of squares and half square triangles (HST). It goes together very well and quickly as long as you mind your scant 1/4" seams, or in the very least keep your seams uniform throughout this and all your blocks. If your seam allowances are not always the same, it will cause your blocks to be "off" as the pieces go together. I was able to complete this block in a couple hours. That includes fabric prep, cutting, and assembly.

Join us for the 2020 Monthly Color Challenge from Patterns By Jen as it is never too late to start. You can find the past month's blocks through her blog. 

In the meantime, keep on quilting!

Fawn


2 comments:

  1. I like that reversal. I had seen the regular one, but this is quite pretty, especially for someone who likes green, which I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. Green is my favorite color. Fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete