Wednesday, July 1, 2020

July 2020 Monthly Color Challenge

American Robin - Rust


That is the bird and color inspiration for July's block from Patterns by Jen in her 2020 Monthly Color Challenge. 


Growing up, I heard the robin referred to as
"robin red breast". While looking for a stock photo to share, I found that European robins are called this. One could assume that the elderly portion of the population where I grew up used that same name for American robins?? Possibly the two were mistaken for each other. I might have to do some more reading on this. Curious minds want to know. Here is what a European robin looks like:


They do both have the red breast. That "red breast" is truly a rust color. 

My personal conundrum for the challenge months? I have defined "oranges" already used or designated for other months. July made me get out my thinking cap when applying color use to my batik stash.

In my stash were some Island Batik 5"×5" stacks waiting for a purpose. There were not enough of any two colors for this block to follow the exact directions. It is also a block for July - one of the hottest months of the year. Taking the feel of the block a bit exotic seemed just the right thing to do. 

I picked four fabrics that would lend to the color of the month, compliment one another, and have enough fabric for me to make the block. Then cutting commenced.


This block has HSTs, so I break out my Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmer to get the best results with those units.


I will always chain piece to keep the momentum going and not waste thread.


This was the original layout, but....


When it came down to it, that look just didn't feel right. Here is the finished block.


This feels like a block that could easily be put with repeats to make a quilt. I love the look, the textures in the prints, and that I was able to meet the color requirements in a fun roundabout way. 



This month starts a new quarter for prize link-ups July through September. Make sure to hop over to our sponsors to say thank you! Here they are:


Quilters Chic - PDF Pattern



For the Love of Geese  - PDF Pattern


Carole Lyle Shaw - pattern and grunge bundle



Quilters Dream Batting - Dream 80/20 - 60" x 60"



The Fat Quarter Shop  - Fabric Bundle



Warm Company - Warm 80/20 - 55" x 60"; 1 yard Insul-Bright

Make Modern Magazine - 6 month subscription




Last but not least, we have this month's fellow bloggers!! Head on over to their blogs to see their fun take on the block. 

Jen Shafer - Patterns By Jen
Wendy Tuma - Pieceful Thoughts
Claudia Porter - Create With Claudia
Kathleen McCormick - Kathleen McMusing
Stephanie Jacobson - Steph Jacobson Designs
Sandra Starley - Textile Time Travels
Stephanie Bertics - Quilt'n Party

Next, I am going to finish a baby quilt for my new granddaughter due at the end of the month, get a couple tops together that are Project Linus donations, and likely spend a lot of time in the garden doing the earlier harvests. 

Oh! Don't forget to head over to Jen's blog at the end of the month and link up your finished block. Doing that each month is how you have a chance at those amazing prizes! 

As always, keep quilting!
Fawn



4 comments:

  1. What a fun way to use those pretty IB fabrics! Thanks for sharing the photo of the European robin - hadn't seen one before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy! I had been looking for a creative way to use those fabrics together and this worked swimmingly. Finding that photo of the European robin was a fun find for me as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I had about 10 fabrics to choose from to get this one figured out. Glad I pulled it off!

      Delete